This post may contain affiliate links.
Chocolate and mint- the perfect pairing. Ultra-soft brownies, mint frosting, and a ganache to top it all off. No one will be able to get enough of these mint chocolate brownies!
I didn’t buy any Girl Scout Cookies this year because I’m doing a *modified* sugar fast (devotional linked) that is convicting me, and therefore I’m not eating any desserts that aren’t test recipes for the blog. So I’m channeling the Thin Mints vibe with this chocolate-mint recipe. Also- it’s almost St. Patrick’s Day, and these brownies are PERFECT for a St. Patty’s party because of the minty-green frosting layer.
These have quickly become a family-favorite, and once you taste it, you'll understand why.
Peppermint Extract: Deeeeelicious! I HIGHLY suggest you use the exact 2 teaspoon as outlined below, to ensure you aren't left with a toothpaste taste in your mouth afterwards 🙂
Espresso Powder: Don't be afraid of this! I don't drink coffee, so I can attest that this does NOT make the brownies taste like coffee at all. Really, it just makes the chocolate taste even more chocolatey. YUM. If you're still concerned about it though, you can forego it.
Green Food Coloring: Totally optional! I like to use it so people visually see that it's "minty", but this is an easy thing to leave out if you don't like it!
Storage: Keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days (if they last that long).
Other Recipes You'll Love
Mint Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder optional, but encouraged
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring, optional
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup unsalted butter
Make the Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan.
- Melt 2 sticks of butter, then combine with sugar and brown sugar.
- Add cocoa powder, flour, salt, baking powder, vanilla, and instant espresso powder, and stir to combine.
- Add eggs and milk, then stir until combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the brownies comes out with a few crumbs.
- Allow to cool completely, about 3 hours.
Make the Mint Frosting
- Mix 1 stick softened butter with the powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Mix in the peppermint extract and 1-2 tablespoon milk, until it is the desired consistency.
- If desired, add green food coloring until the frosting is a minty-green color.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled brownies.
Make the Chocolate Ganache
- In a microwaveable bowl, heat the chocolate chips and butter until melted. Stir until fully combined.
- Cool for about 5 minutes, then pour the glaze over the mint frosting and spread evenly across the top until all frosting is covered.
Cool the Brownies
- Refrigerate for 3+ hours to ensure the glaze is fully set before eating.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving, then store leftovers in the refrigeration for up to 3 days.
Did you make these mint chocolate brownies? I want to know! Post it on social media, tag @battersandblessings, and add #battersandblessings so I can see your creation 🙂